With the newest circumstances of impersonation, registration fraud, absentee poll fraud, bribery, and unlawful vote trafficking added to The Heritage Basis’s Election Fraud Database, the database now accommodates 1,365 confirmed cases of election fraud. These circumstances show the big variety of how wherein dangerous actors got down to submit fraudulent ballots or steal elections.
The database is just not an exhaustive or complete record of all election fraud within the states. Relatively, it presents a sampling of latest, confirmed cases of election fraud from throughout the nation that’s supposed to spotlight the various methods wherein fraud has been dedicated.
Under are a number of of the newest circumstances we’ve added:
- Kimberly McPherson, a member of the Troy, New York, Metropolis Council, pleaded responsible to 1 rely of identification theft for casting absentee ballots within the names of two different individuals within the 2021 Metropolis Council election. In in search of reelection, McPherson forged no less than one absentee poll on behalf of one other in the course of the main election and forged absentee ballots for no less than two individuals aside from herself in the course of the common election. As a part of her plea settlement, McPherson agreed to resign from the Metropolis Council. She faces as much as 5 years in jail and fines of as much as $250,000 when she is sentenced. Sadly, any such misbehavior is just not new in Troy. In 2014, 4 residents of town, together with one other member of the Metropolis Council and town clerk, had been convicted of forging the signatures of voters and submitting fraudulent absentee ballots. On the time, one of many defendants, Anthony DeFiglio, a neighborhood committeeman, stated such absentee poll fraud was “a traditional political tactic” in native elections.
- Former Democrat U.S. Rep. Michael “Ozzie” Myers was charged with over 13 felonies for orchestrating a scheme to stuff poll containers in Philadelphia for Democrat candidates he both favored or represented as a political marketing consultant in native, state, and federal elections. This isn’t Myers’ first scandal both. He was ousted from Congress in 1980 after he was convicted of bribery as a part of the Abscam sting. In his newest act of lawlessness, Myers bribed Domenick Demuro and Marie Beren, who managed a number of polling locations within the metropolis as “judges of elections,” so as to add bogus votes for his favored candidates. This poll field stuffing occurred in a number of elections between 2014 and 2018. Myers pleaded responsible to depriving individuals of civil rights, bribery, falsification of voting data, and conspiring to illegally vote in a federal election. He faces as much as 60 years in jail and over $1 million in doable fines when he’s sentenced in September.
- Beren, one of many election officers bribed by Myers to stuff poll containers with bogus votes, pleaded responsible to depriving individuals of civil rights, bribery, falsification of voting data, and conspiring to illegally vote in a federal election. She will probably be sentenced in August. The opposite Philadelphia election official, Demuro, already pleaded responsible in 2021 to the identical costs.
- Choose Michelle Williams Courtroom overturned the results of the June 2021 Compton, California, run-off election for a Metropolis Council seat after she discovered that 4 votes had been forged by voters who had fraudulently registered and didn’t truly reside within the district for that seat. The run-off election between incumbent Isaac Galvan and Andre Spicer had been determined by one vote, and Galvan was initially declared the winner. The decide threw out the 4 fraudulent votes and declared Spicer the official winner of the election. 5 individuals, together with Galvan, had been arrested and charged with conspiracy to commit election fraud. All of them subsequently pleaded responsible or no contest to the costs.
- Francis Presto of South Park, Pennsylvania, requested and forged an absentee poll on behalf of his deceased spouse. He was charged with interfering with an election, illegal use of a pc, and forging a poll. He was sentenced to a diversion program and ordered to finish 250 hours of neighborhood service. His costs will probably be dropped if he efficiently completes the diversion program.
- Guillermina Fuentes was charged with poll abuse for unlawful poll trafficking in the course of the 2020 main election. Fuentes, the previous mayor of San Luis, Arizona, now works as a political marketing consultant. Fuentes collected absentee ballots from voters and, in some cases, accomplished the ballots herself. She pleaded responsible to 1 rely of poll abuse. She is awaiting sentencing.
- Alma Yadira Juarez was charged with one rely of poll abuse for unlawful poll trafficking in the course of the 2020 main election in San Luis. Juarez collected absentee ballots that had been accomplished by Fuentes and pleaded responsible to 1 rely of poll abuse. She can also be awaiting sentencing.
- Monica Mendez was concerned in an absentee poll trafficking scheme to change the outcomes of the Could 2018 water board election in Bloomington, Texas. Mendez was a volunteer deputy registrar liable for registering new voters. Throughout the election, 275 individuals in Bloomington registered to vote all utilizing the identical submit workplace field of a sponsored housing firm as a mailing tackle. Mendez was working the vote trafficking operation for the corporate, which wished to oust the incumbents and take management of the board with a view to minimize water charges for its rental properties. Mendez pleaded responsible to 26 felony counts, together with three counts of unlawful voting, eight counts of election fraud, seven counts of illegal help to a voter to submit a poll by mail, and eight counts of illegal possession of a mail poll. She was sentenced to 5 years of deferred adjudication probation, 80 hours of neighborhood service, and fined $1,415.
As well as, the sheriff in Yuma County, Arizona, the place Fuentes and Juarez orchestrated their absentee poll fraud, just lately issued a press launch stating he has one other 16 open “voting/registration” circumstances which can be at present being investigated.
The issues, sadly, don’t finish there. The Public Curiosity Authorized Basis just lately revealed a report stating that New Jersey might probably have over 8,000 duplicate registrations on its voter rolls. Such errors in voter registration lists which can be undetected by election officers enable fraud to happen by anybody who needs to reap the benefits of these errors, as occurred within the Compton, California, case mentioned above.
Voting is likely one of the most elementary elements of a consultant authorities. Residents who take part in elections ought to be capable of belief the equity and integrity of the electoral course of and will be capable of belief that ineligible voters and fraudsters can not thwart the need of the individuals.
Guaranteeing honest and free elections is necessary to all Individuals, and state legislatures ought to work to make that occur by implementing the sorts of election reforms that The Heritage Basis has really helpful in its Election Integrity Scorecard. However, as we observe within the scorecard, “Even the very best legal guidelines will not be price a lot if accountable officers don’t implement them rigorously. It’s as much as the residents of every state to be sure that their elected and appointed public officers do exactly that.”
Have an opinion about this text? To pontificate, please e mail [email protected], and we’ll contemplate publishing your edited remarks in our common “We Hear You” function. Bear in mind to incorporate the URL or headline of the article plus your identify and city and/or state.